University Bargaining Unit DeterminationHR
This policy applies to all Staff employees.
The University is committed to ensuring uniform and economical management of negotiations and administration of employee representative bargaining units.
- This policy is subject to Board of Trustees approved revisions.
- The Board of Trustees has approved a policy whereby the university recognizes the following existing bargaining units:
- AFSCME Service Local representing all service employees working on the Bloomington, Indianapolis and South Bend campuses.
- AFSCME Police Local 683 representing all police service employees on the Bloomington, Indianapolis, Northwest, South Bend, and Southeast campuses.
- CWA Local representing all support staff employees on the Bloomington campus and clerical and technical employees on the Northwest campus, with the exception of confidential employees.
- Any additional employee units seeking recognition as an exclusive representative must become part of one of the bargaining units listed above.
- Employees of a single campus will not be considered an appropriate bargaining unit. Such employees can only obtain exclusive bargaining rights by voting to join one of the three existing units described above.
- Service employees on any campus that are not currently represented may vote to opt into the AFSCME Service Local bargaining unit. Support staff and clerical and technical employees on any campus who are not currently represented may vote to opt into the CWA Local bargaining unit. Police service employees on any campus that are not currently represented may vote to opt into the AFSCME Police Local 683 bargaining unit.
Managers, supervisors, and employees who violate this policy are subject to corrective action, up to and including separation.