- Regular attendance, as established by the department, is a condition of employment.
- Attendance problems will be addressed through the corrective action process.
- Approved absences and any verification of the reason for the absence are subject to the provisions contained in Time Off – Staff and Temporary policies.
- All employees are personally responsible for reporting absences to their supervisor before they are scheduled to begin the workday.
- If the absence is due to an emergency, the employee must notify the supervisor as soon as possible of the reason and expected time of return.
- If the supervisor cannot be reached, the employee should follow the reporting procedure of the department.
- For CWA covered positions at Northwest, if the supervisor is unavailable the staff member should notify the campus Human Resources office to have any message relayed to the supervisor.
Unexcused absences cause for termination
- Unexcused absences, with or without pay or time off accrual, may be subject to disciplinary action through the corrective action process.
- Consecutive absences without proper notification as defined above are subject to termination.
- Three consecutive working days absent without proper notification may be cause for termination.
- Five consecutive working days absent without proper notification is cause for termination.
- Prior to terminating an employee, departments must consult with the campus Human Resources office or University Human Resources.
- These events are typically unforeseen, require immediate action, are beyond the employee’s control and not health related. See Income Protection for further details
- The employee must notify the supervisor as soon as possible as to the reason and the expected time of return
- The employee may be required to provide documentation on the nature and circumstances of the absence.
- The employee may choose to charge time off for personal emergency to any of accrued time off, which includes Income Protection.
Pay and time-off benefits accrual for Support and Service Staff
- An absence will fall into one of three categories:
- Absence with pay and with time-off-benefits accrual
- Absence without pay and with time-off-benefits accrual
- Absence without pay and without time-off-benefits accrual
Back to top