Time Off Accruals during Absences
About This Policy
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Human Resources
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Vice President for Human Resources
Absences with pay and time off accrual
All staff employees receive pay and accrue time off for absences covered under their respective paid time off policies (e.g., holidays, adverse weather conditions, paid parental leave, vacation, etc.).
Absences without pay and with time off accrual
- Employees who are absent without pay accrue time off under the following conditions:
- Adverse weather even though the campus is open
- Adverse working conditions
- Worker's Compensation supplemented by income protection time, vacation time, or paid time off
- Military duty
- This accrual is limited to vacation time or PTO and is equal to the amount that the individual would have earned had the military leave of absence not occurred, up to a maximum of one year's accrual.
- Unpaid union-released time; see the applicable Union-Administration Relations policy.
- See the Furlough policy for when employees who are absent without pay accrue time off.
Absences without pay and without time off accrual
- Employees do not receive pay nor accrue time off while absent due to:
- An FMLA leave that is not covered by any paid time off
- A leave of absence
- An absence (including tardiness by Non-Exempt (excluding PAO and PAU) staff not already covered in this policy.
- See the Furlough policy for when employees who are absent without pay do not accrue time off.
- If an employee does not return to the job after 30 calendar days without pay, the unit must initiate a leave of absence or separation. (The amount of work hours is prorated by FTE for part-time staff.)
IU HR completed a full and substantive review to assess the ongoing need and effectiveness.
Updated the staff employee group terms due to Job Framework Redesign Project.
Replaces all of the following policies:
|Union or Employee Group||Policy|
|CWA||12.1 Time Off Accruals During Absences|
|Professional Staff and|
Support and Service Staff
not Covered by a Union
|10.1 Time Off Accruals During Absences|
Replaces parts of the following policies:
|AFSCME Service||AFSCME Police|
6.1 Absences With and Without Pay
|Attendance, Absences and Personal Emergency