Depreciation of Capital Assets
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
See current policy
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Capital Assets
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Policy Contact:
Director of Auxiliary Accounting, Capital Asset Management, Non-Student Accounts Receivable, and Student Loan Administration
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
Effective July 1, 1990, Indiana University will depreciate the capital asset categories of moveable equipment, buildings, infrastructures, leasehold equities, library books and equipment start up costs.
Depreciation: A financial recognition of the diminishing service capacity or utility; the lost usefulness; the wasting away of a tangible asset during the periods of service life.