Fireworks/Pyrotechnics on University Property
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
See current policy
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Administrator:
Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Policy Contact:
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
The sale of FIREWORKS on UNIVERSITY PROPERTY is forbidden. The possession and/or use of FIREWORKS on UNIVERSITY PROPERTY is forbidden without permission of the CORE ADVISORY GROUP.
The use of PYROTECHNICS during performances may be allowed but defined procedures must be followed, as specified in the Procedures section, below.
Reason for Policy
FIREWORKS/PYROTECHNICS present an inherent danger of fire and personal injury. The sale and possession of FIREWORKS and use of PYROTECHNICS must be controlled for the safety of all persons on University properties and the prevention of fires and explosions damaging University property.
The use of PYROTECHNICS during a performance may be allowed but
- An email must be sent to the Office of Insurance, Loss Control & Claims (INLOCC) at INLOCC@iu.edu at least 30 days prior to the performance:
- defining the venue,
- describing in detail the PYROTECHNICS,
- describing the qualifications of persons using the PYROTECHNICS, and
- describing the loss prevention and control pwill be in place.rocedures that
- INLOCC will share that email with other members of the CORE ADVISORY GROUP, as applicable, and advise if permission is granted.
The sale of FIREWORKS will not be allowed on any UNIVERSITY PROPERTY.
The possession and/or use of FIREWORKS on UNIVERSITY PROPERTY is limited to those persons licensed under Indiana Code Title 22, Article 11, Chapter 14 (or the applicable code of the state where the property is located).
Any group wishing to display fireworks on UNIVERSITY PROPERTY must
- comply with all provisions of the applicable state code, and
- make application at least 30 days prior to the event to INLOCC by contacting Mel Lane (email@example.com).
The CORE ADVISORY GROUP will review all applications and make recommendations to INLOCC for final disposition.
FIREWORKS may not be possessed and/or displayed on UNIVERSITY PROPERTY without permission from the CORE ADVISORY GROUP.
Any permitted display of FIREWORKS must be under the direction of persons approved by the CORE ADVISORY GROUP and their credentials must be presented as part of the application process.
Insurance: The minimum insurance requirements are found in our vendor insurance requirements procedure reference. Depending on the particular application we may increase the amounts of insurance required.
PYROTECHNICS: For the purpose of this policy, "pyrotechnics" will refer to those displays used to enhance an artistic performance while "fireworks" will describe those devices customarily associated with Fourth of July displays.
FIREWORKS:IC 22-11-14-1 included by reference.
CORE ADVISORY GROUP: Includes
- Office of Insurance, Loss Control & Claims
- IUPUI Fire Protection Services
- Environmental Health & Safety
- When a campus has an office of Environmental Health & Safety, that office will be the authority for the campus.
- If the campus does not have such an office, Environmental Health & Safety (System) located at IU Bloomington will be the authority.
- Indiana University Police - campus department
- Office of Emergency Management
- When applicable, the Grounds section of the campus Physical Plant.
- Anyone found in violation of applicable Indiana codes will be subject to arrest and prosecution as defined by law.
- Any employee or student in violation of this policy shall be subject to established University disciplinary procedures.
Any other person found in violation of this policy will be deemed a trespasser and subject to enforcement by University Police or the nearest law enforcement office having jurisdiction. [Note to reviewers: E.g., Montana or Camp Brosius.]