Vehicles Rented, Leased or Chartered
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Office of Insurance, Loss Control and Claims
- Responsible University Administrator:
Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Policy Contact:
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
Reason for Policy
The use of vehicles is one of the greatest liability exposures faced by the university; therefore, this risk should be shifted to the vendors to the extent possible to protect university assets.
Renting, leasing, or chartering means of public conveyance like buses, other than rental vehicles available through National or Enterprise Rent-a-Car Services, is contingent upon the vendor having acceptable insurance coverage.
- A certificate of insurance must be mailed, faxed, or emailed to and approved by the Office of Insurance, Loss Control & Claims (INLOCC) before the trip takes place. (Smith Research 110, 2805 E. 10th St, Bloomington, IN 47408, Facsimile: 812-855-9320, or INLOCC@iu.edu)
- The Trustees of Indiana University must be named as an "additional insured."
- The certificate holder must be The Trustees of Indiana University c/o the above address.
- The certificate must show at least 30 days advance notice of cancellation.
- The minimum amount of coverage for general liability per each occurrence is $1 million.
- For buses, the minimum amount of coverage for auto liability per accident is $5 million.
- For other vehicles, the minimum amount of coverage for auto liability per accident is $1 million.
- Contracts must be reviewed by INLOCC and signed by the Treasurer (or designee).