In 2019, university policies related to university purchases (formerly FIN-PUR-01 through FIN-PUR-35) were updated and consolidated into FIN-PURCH-01 through FIN-PURCH-14. The History section of this policy contains complete information on where the topics covered by each FIN-PUR policy can be found in FIN-PURCH. A few FIN-PUR policies have been rescinded or converted into Standard Operating Procedures, and the History section contains that information as well.
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Procurement Services
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Policy Contact:
Associate Vice President for Procurement
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
- Indiana University will avoid wood or paper products derived from old growth forests.
- All energy-consuming products, appliances and equipment purchased by the university shall be Energy Star qualified whenever possible or practical.
Reason for Policy
- Indiana University recognizes the value of old growth forests and certain responsibility may be addressed within the procurement effort. Therefore common practice shall be to avoid the purchase of wood and paper products, and the use of such products, whose content is derived from wood raw materials found in old growth forests.
- The university is committed to reducing its energy consumption and to containing its costs related to energy consumption.
- Indiana University reserves the right to ask for documentation from any supplier if sufficient evidence is presented that the supplier is in violation of this policy. Indiana University also reserves the right to sever all dealings with any supplier in violation of this policy.
- Purchasing departmental staff will identify products and sources for products covered by this policy. This policy does not impede or impinge the requirements for competitive bidding or solicitation of such products and the appropriate and required documentation for these transactions.
Energy Star: A joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy helping us all save money and protect the environment though energy efficient products and practices: http://www.energystar.gov and http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=bulk_purchasing.bus_purchasing.
Old Growth Forest: Stands and/or landscapes with either of the following characteristics:
A proportion of the trees have reached (or nearly reached) their maximum age relative to natural disturbance patterns to which the ecosystem is adapted.
Stands that have been essentially unaffected by intensive industrial activities over time periods long enough so that forest structure and composition are determined largely by natural disturbance and regeneration, and which are dominated by native tree species.
Included are all tropical forests and temperate rainforest (excluding those certified by the Forest Stewardship Council).
Wood or Paper Products: Any product that is based on wood or wood fiber products. This would include items such as paper, wooden furniture, plywood, paneling, particle board, dimensional lumber, veneer, etc.
In 2019, university policies related to university purchases (formerly FIN-PUR-01 through FIN-PUR-35) were updated and consolidated into FIN-PURCH-01 through FIN-PURCH-14. The university purchasing policies related to conflicts of interest and commitment were updated and consolidated into UA-17.
FIN-PURCH-01 consolidates and updates:
FIN-PURCH-02 updates and renumbers FIN-PUR-20.0 (University Procurement Contracts).
FIN-PURCH-03 consolidates and updates:
Portions of FIN-PUR-18.0 (Auctions and Reverse Auctions).
FIN-PURCH-04 updates and renumbers FIN-PUR-5.6 (Single-Source Orders)
FIN-PURCH-05 consolidates and updates:
FIN-PURCH-06 updates and renumbers FIN-PUR-7.0 (Prepayment of Orders).
FIN-PURCH-07 is a new policy.
FIN-PURCH-08 updates and renumbers FIN-PUR-9.0 (Furniture Purchases)
FIN-PURCH-09 consolidates and updates
FIN-PURCH-10 updates and renumbers FIN-PUR-11 (Release of Procurement Information).
FIN-PURCH-11 consolidates and updates:
FIN-PURCH-12 updates and renumbers FIN-PUR-21.0 (Non-Solicitation on Campus)
FIN-PURCH-13 updates FIN-PUR-13 (Purchases from Historically Underutilized Suppliers)
FIN-PURCH-14 consolidates and updates:
Specific to purchasing policies, UA-17 (Conflicts of Interest and Commitment) consolidates and updates:
The following FIN-PUR policies were rescinded or converted into Standard Operating Procedures as follows:
FIN-PUR-6.0 (Common Construction Wage) was rescinded.
FIN-PUR-8.0 (Endorsement) was rescinded.
FIN-PUR-15.0 (Strategic Alliances) was converted into a Standard Operating Procedure.
FIN-PUR-17 (Procurement for Off-Shore University Activities) was converted into a Standard Operating Procedure.