Garnishments and Levies
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Financial Management Services
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Policy Contact:
Director of Payroll, Customer Service and Training
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
Indiana University will honor all court orders to garnish employee wages. All orders for wage assignment or voluntary assignments will be honored. In cases of multiple wage assignments, priority for honoring them will be in the following order:
1. Child support
2. The following will be honored in the order received:
Federal, state and local tax levies
Appropriate remittances will be made of monies collected. Financial Management Services will maintain confidential files which will contain court orders, IRS levies, monies collected, and any other pertinent information concerning affected employees.