About This Policy
- Effective Date:
See current policy
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Financial Management Services
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Policy Contact:
Associate Vice President
and University Controller,
Office of the Controller
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
The allocation of administrative costs should be reviewed by University administration. This review will include verification that the allocations are consistent with the other administrative costs allocations and that there are not any accounts being charged more than once for the same costs.
Reason for Policy
The Cost Accounting Standards require the University to be consistent in all aspects of costing methodologies. Many units of Indiana University allocate administrative costs. This policy would give the University assurance that the accounts being billed are charged for the service only once.
Organizations that implement an administrative allocation will be required to provide a copy of the allocations and the corresponding rationale to the office of the campus business officer and then the University Budget Office.
The source to this policy is:
Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) 9905.501 Consistency in estimating, accumulating and reporting costs by educational institutions. Cost Accounting Standards. (CAS) 9905.502, Consistency in allocating costs incurred for the same purpose by educational institutions, Chief Accountant