Use of Object Codes for Unallowable Expenses for Indirect Cost Recovery Purposes
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
See current policy
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Financial Management Services
- Responsible University Administrator:
Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Policy Contact:
Associate Vice President
and University Controller,
Office of the Controller
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
The following specific object codes must be used when paying for services that are allowable from University funds:
- Trustee/Board of Visitors Travel
- IU Hospital Services
- Prizes and Awards
- Hospitality Expenses
Reason for Policy
To specify that specific University object codes must be utilized when paying for items that are unallowable expenses for the purpose of indirect cost recovery. The use of the object code is necessary to segregate the charges from the pool of expenditures utilized for indirect cost negotiations.
Utilization of these codes must be made on all financial transactions, i.e. requisitions and disbursement vouchers.
Copies of the object codes are available through Financial Management Services.
Object Codes: Pertains to the University Chart of Account codes for income, expenses and balance sheet items.
Indirect Cost Recovery: An analysis performed identifying expenditures made by the University in support of sponsored programs. The study results in reimbursement rates for use by agencies supporting contracts and grants at the University.