Appropriate Duties of Academic Employees (Ghost Employees)
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- VP and General Counsel
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Vice President and General Counsel
- Policy Contact:
- Office of the Vice President and General Counsel
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
Indiana law prohibits the hiring by any public institution of any person who is not assigned duties or is assigned duties not related to the operation of such institution when such person is paid by public funds. No person is knowingly to receive public funds in compensation with no duties or for duties not related to the operation of the public employer. Penalties are provided by law which may fall both on the employee and upon the authority who appoints such an employee or permits such payment for duties not related to the public employer.
Any situation which seems to be proscribed by the law, as stated above, should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Vice President and General Counsel so that a determination may be made and appropriate action may be recommended.
(Conforms to State Statute, I.C. 35-44-2-4)