About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Human Resources
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Vice President for Human Resources
- Position descriptions should be maintained for all University Staff positions. Each supervisor should make a bon afide effort to have an up-to-date position description for each position under his/her supervision.
- Position descriptions are encouraged for Temporary positions.
- In addition, such documentation is intended to reflect the needs of a department. This enables supervisors and employees to understand the duties and responsibilities of a position and to use such documentation as a tool in planning.
Reason for Policy
Written documentation is necessary to define the way work is organized and assigned to individual positions. This documentation is required to support a variety of Human Resource activities (e.g., position classification, job evaluation, market pricing, and new hire starting salaries) and to aid the university in complying with applicable laws and regulations.
- All new positions must have a position description created using the university position description form.
- Meaningful updates to an existing position should be reflected in the position description. If a position description is not available one must be created. See Establishing a Staff Position policy.
- Any significant changes to an existing position’s duties and responsibilities that may result in a review of the position’s classification must be updated on the position description. Refer to Position Classification/Reclassification.
- New and updated position descriptions are submitted to the campus HR office for review and saved to HRMS.
- For CWA covered Support Staff positions a college degree should not be required without rationale from the department and approval by IU Human Resources, unless a degree is called for in the job specification.
- A job posting is not a valid position description. See the Posting a Position Vacancy policy.
- The department should have a description of the duties and responsibilities assigned to each position within the department and will make a bona fide effort to ensure these are descriptions are updated.
- The department should ensure that all incumbents have a copy of their position description.
- A position is the specific set of duties and responsibilities assigned to and performed by an individual.
- A position description is a written document that defines the primary purpose and key duties and responsibilities of a position.
- A job is a collection of positions that have similar major duties and responsibilities.
- A job specification is the written summary of the most important and distinguishable features of a job, including the primary duties and responsibilities and qualifications required to do the job.
Violations of University policies will be handled in accordance with applicable University policies and procedures; which may include disciplinary actions up to and including termination from the University.
Updates made to CWA procedures based on union discussions.
This policy replaces the following policies:
CWA 9.2 - Preparing a Position Description
This policy replaces parts of the following policies:
|9.3 - Position Classification/|
|10.2 - Rules and Guidelines for Filling Positions||2.2 - Position Classification/|
Reclassification for Support Staff