University Bargaining Unit Determination
About This Policy
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Human Resources
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Board of Trustees, Indiana University
- This policy is subject to Board of Trustees approved revisions.
- The Board of Trustees has approved a policy whereby the university recognizes the following existing bargaining units:
- AFSCME Service Local representing all Non-Exempt service (job code "M") employees working on the Bloomington, Indianapolis and South Bend campuses.
- AFSCME Police Local 683 representing all Non-Exempt police service employees on the Bloomington, East, Indianapolis, Kokomo, Northwest, South Bend, and Southeast campuses.
- CWA 4818 Local representing all Non-Exempt (job code "A") staff on the Bloomington campus and clerical and technical employees on the Northwest campus, with the exception of confidential employees.
- Any additional employee units seeking recognition as an exclusive representative must become part of one of the bargaining units listed above.
- Employees of a single campus will not be considered an appropriate bargaining unit. Such employees can only obtain exclusive bargaining rights by voting to join one of the three existing units described above.
- Non-Exempt Service (job code "M") staff on any campus that are not currently represented may vote to opt into the AFSCME Service Local bargaining unit. Non-Exempt Support staff (job code "C") and clerical and technical employees on any campus who are not currently represented may vote to opt into the CWA Local 4818 bargaining unit. Non-Exempt Police service staff on any campus that are not currently represented may vote to opt into the AFSCME Police Local 683 bargaining unit.