Reduction in Force (Temporary employees)
About This Policy
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Human Resources
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Vice President for Human Resources
A reduction in force (RIF) is a curtailment of the workforce ordered by university administration. A reduction may arise for reasons of, but not limited to, the following: budget, lack of work, reorganization, or reduction of positions beyond the employee's control.
- All Temporary employees are laid off first. Positions normally held by student Temporary employees may be excluded.
- If staffing needs of a department prohibit the elimination of all Temporary positions, Staff employees designated for furlough will receive first preference for such assignments. Temporary employees may be given consideration for such assignments next.
- Temporary employees are not placed on a furlough list and are not covered by the recall provisions of the university's Reduction in Force policy for Staff employees.