Reduction in Force (part time employees)
About This Policy
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Human Resources
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
A reduction in force (RIF) is a curtailment of the workforce ordered by university administration. A reduction may arise for reasons of, but not limited to, the following: budget, lack of work, reorganization, or reduction of positions beyond the employee's control.
- All part time employees are laid off first. Positions normally held by student part time employees may be excluded.
- If staffing needs of a department prohibit the elimination of all part time positions, staff employees designated for furlough will receive first preference for such assignments. Part time employees may be given consideration for such assignments next.
- Part time employees are not placed on a furlough list and are not covered by the recall provisions of the university's Reduction in Force policy for Staff employees.