Student and other University Fees Approval
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Budget Office
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Policy Contact:
- Samuel B. Adams
Associate Vice President
Budget & Planning
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
Effective upon approval by the Indiana University Trustees, the procedure outlined in this document becomes the policy of Indiana University in reviewing and approving fees.
The Vice President and Chief Financial Officer has the authority to approve all fees except those reserved by the Board of Trustees in Section A below. Under this authority the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer specifically delegates the approval of certain fees to the chief executive officer of each campus. Those fees that are retained for specific approval by the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer are covered in Section B below. Those fees that are specifically delegated at this time to the campus administration are indicated in Section C below.
Under this policy the University Budget Office is charged with the responsibility of obtaining and coordinating data to be submitted to the Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer in establishing those fees listed in Section B below. The University Budget Office is also charged with the responsibility of obtaining the information on fees approved by the campus under Section C below, and submitting it to the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer for information. The University Budget Office is further charged with the responsibility of maintaining a master fee list of all approved fees and disseminating this information to those University offices that require it to fulfill their missions.
A. Fees and charges reserved for specific approval by Board of Trustees:
- Instructional fees (tuition) excluding distance education fees.
- Halls of Residence/Housing fees.
- Academic program fees applied to specific majors.
- Mandatory fees charged to all students on a campus.
B. Fees and charges reserved for the specific approval by the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer are as follows:
- Course-related fees (examples include rates for laboratory and contact hours, education course fees, auditing, examinations for credit, applied music, distance education courses, and special laboratory fees).
- Fees related to entering the University (application fees, advance payment of fees, etc.).
- Fees/charges assessed by enterprises to pay debt service on facilities except for Halls of Residence/Housing.
- Other fees not specifically covered in this policy.
C. This policy delegates to the appropriate Chancellor of the campus, authority to approve the following fees and charges. It is their responsibility to inform the University Budget Office of the fees and charges for inclusion in the University's master fee list.
- Rentals (houses, lockers, facilities, musical instruments, etc.).
- Short courses, recreational sports, and conferences not for credit.
- Retail operations or sales of goods and services to the public and University community, including charges to be deposited in restricted funds.
- Fines and penalties (libraries, bad checks, parking and vehicles).
- Intra-campus departmental charges (duplicating, motor vehicles, telephone, physical plant, etc.).
- Special examinations not related to award of credit.
- Clinical fees, excluding hospital charges.
- Admission Fees-Ticket Sales, excluding Big Ten basketball and football.
- Deposits (lockers, uniforms, equipment).
- Pass-through fees such as horseback riding, scuba, bowling, etc.
- Campus parking rates.