Check Forgery of University Checks
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Financial Management Services
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Policy Contact:
Associate Vice President and University Controller
Office of Financial Management Services
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
If a payee claims that the signature on a University check is not his/hers, the payee must fill out an Affidavit of Check Forgery and send it to Financial Management Services. Copies will be sent to the IU Police Department and to Internal Audit. This form must be notarized.
Financial Management Services will submit the notarized affidavit and check to the bank upon which it was drawn. When reimbursement occurs from the bank, an authorization is sent to Financial Management Services for a replacement check.