Write-Off of Outstanding University Checks
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Office of the University Controller
- Responsible University Administrator:
Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Policy Contact:
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
All payroll and disbursement checks that remain outstanding for six (6) months after the check date will be written off and the funds deposited in a special university account. After a check is outstanding for one year, it is escheated to the state of the payee's last known address.
Reason for Policy
To ensure that university financial records are updated in an accurate and timely manner for all transactions relating to the write-off of outstanding university payroll and disbursement checks and to comply with state unclaimed property laws.