About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- University Faculty Council
- Responsible University Administrator:
President of the University
- Pursuant to a resolution of the Board of Trustees on December 5, 2013, primary responsibility for developing a common academic calendar for all campuses rests with the President, who may delegate this task to other officials or a committee.
- The President or the President’s designee shall consult with the University Faculty Council about the development of or changes to the common calendar.
- Except as necessary to adhere to the common academic calendar, responsibility for determining class schedules, sessions within semesters, exam schedules, registration dates, semester hours, free weeks/reading periods, breaks, and similar matters related to the curriculum rests with the campuses and individual academic units.
Reason for Policy
A common calendar is important so that students and faculty may smoothly transition from one campus to another. At the same time, individual campuses may have different constraints on the scheduling of classes and events such as spring breaks, and units may have conflicting obligations imposed on them by accrediting bodies or other educational reasons, that require flexibility within the general boundaries of the common calendar.
- The President shall see that a common academic calendar is created, in consultation with the University Faculty Council.
- The common calendar shall be maintained a minimum of ten years in advance to allow time for each campus to coordinate its calendar and schedules with it.
- The faculty governance body on each campus shall determine how to manage the calendar for that campus and what authority to delegate to individual academic units. It may delegate the task to the Provost/Chancellor or may create a faculty calendar committee.
Enacted by the University Faculty Council, April 29, 1976.
Amended by the University Faculty Council, April 27, 1982.
Partially nullified by a resolution of the Board of Trustees, Dec. 5, 2013.
Amended by the University Faculty Council, April 23, 2019.