Accommodation for Religious Observances
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- University Faculty Council
- Responsible University Administrator:
Chief Student Affairs Officer of each campus.
Indiana University respects the right of all students to observe their religious holidays. Accordingly, course directors are to make reasonable accommodation, upon request, for such observances. It is the responsibility of the students involved to notify their course directors in a timely manner concerning their need for such accommodation.
Reason for Policy
Respect for all religions is a central premise to Indiana University’s commitment to diversity and non-discrimination. Students and faculty also need to know which campus official is responsible for the implementation of this policy.
- Procedures for the implementation of this policy are to be determined by the faculty governance body on each campus.
- In the absence of a campus-specific policy, procedures are to be determined by the Chief Academic Affairs Officer for the campus.