Accommodation for Religious Observances
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- University Faculty Council
- Responsible University Administrator:
Chief Student Affairs Officer of each campus.
- Policy Contact:
Director of Faculty Council Office
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
Indiana University respects the right of all students to observe their religious holidays. Accordingly, course directors are to make reasonable accommodation, upon request, for such observances. It is the responsibility of the students involved to notify their course directors in a timely manner concerning their need for such accommodation.
Reason for Policy
Respect for all religions is a central premise to Indiana University’s commitment to diversity and non-discrimination. Students and faculty also need to know which campus official is responsible for the implementation of this policy.
- Procedures for the implementation of this policy are to be determined by the faculty governance body on each campus.
- In the absence of a campus-specific policy, procedures are to be determined by the Chief Academic Affairs Officer for the campus.