About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- University Faculty Council
Office of the President
- Responsible University Administrator:
President, Indiana University
- Mission and Goals:
- The mission of intercollegiate athletics at Indiana University is to provide athletics programs committed to integrity, fairness, and competitiveness that enhance student life and that contribute in an effective and meaningful manner to the achievement of the broader goals of the University. The objective of intercollegiate athletics is to promote the matriculation, retention, and graduation of students and to develop pride, loyalty, and support among students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the community at large.
- The fundamental goals of intercollegiate athletics programs are the following:
- To put academics first, ensuring that all student-athletes progress each year toward graduation, culminating with the awarding of a bachelors degree.
- To facilitate the integration of the intercollegiate athletics departments and student athletes into the university community.
- To play each sport at a competitive level.
- To maintain well-rounded, balanced programs that ensure gender and racial equity and that respond to student interests.
- To comply fully with the relevant governing athletics association (NCAA or NAIA), conference, and institutional rules.
- To operate fiscally sound and prudent athletics programs.
- To maintain programs that serve as models in intercollegiate athletics, on which the University community, the State of Indiana, and other universities may look to with pride.
- To promote interaction between citizens and the University, so as to develop widespread public identity with and pride in Indiana University and its many programs.
- Principles of Authority and Responsibility:
- While final authority over all units of the University rests with the President and the Trustees, governance decisions regarding intercollegiate athletics shall include advice of the appropriate campus athletics committee(s).
- At Indiana University Bloomington, the Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics shall have operational authority for the varsity athletic programs, reporting to the President.
- At IUPUI and the regional campuses, the authority and responsibility for intercollegiate athletics programs shall be delegated to the campuses, and athletics programs run by Athletics Directors that report to the campus chancellors, or designee. The President shall govern the athletics programs on all campuses, except that each campus' Chancellor would normally represent the President on most matters. Governance on each of the campuses shall also include the campus Athletics Director and will include input from the campus athletics committee.
- All campus Athletic Directors, or their designee, will convene annually to foster communication among the intercollegiate athletics programs of Indiana University. The convener shall be a representative of the Office of the Executive Vice President for University Academic Affairs.
- Each campus shall have a Campus Athletics Committee that includes representation from the faculty, student athletes, and the faculty athletic representative (FAR). This committee will report at least annually to the campus faculty council. The committee will include the athletic director as ex officio non-voting member.
- Each campus shall have a student-athlete advisory council.
- Each campus may have any number of associations that advise or support IU’s athletics programs. These organizations have no role in governance of athletics programs and must adhere to policies and regulations of the appropriate athletics governing body.
Reason for Policy
Varsity intercollegiate athletic programs at Indiana University play an important role at both the campus and institutional level. This policy is to assure that institutional control of athletic programs is shared by faculty and administration, with the input of student-athletes. The priorities of Indiana University athletics are to comply with both the letter and the spirit of applicable rules and requirements; to support the well-being of student-athletes; to support academic achievement and contribute to the academic mission of the university; to excel athletically; and to integrate with the entirety of the university.
By action of University Faculty Council: March 10, 1998; Amended and Approved by the Board of Trustees: May 8, 1998;
Amended and Approved by Action of the University Faculty Council: April 22, 2003; Amended and Approved by the Board of Trustees: June 11, 2004;
Policy revised 2018, Previous Version: [Effective Dates: 06/11/2004 - 02/27/2018].
On February 10, 2023, the Responsible University Offices and Policy Contacts were updated to reflect organizational restructuring.