Student Travel to Cuba

Any Indiana University student seeking to travel to Cuba for research or other educational activities, such as a conference or structured education program, must submit a travel proposal to the Office of the Vice President for International Affairs (OVPIA) at and the Export Control Office at for consideration. That travel proposal must contain a description of the proposed activities and a letter of permission and support from the appropriate head of the relevant academic unit (e.g. dean, department chair, dissertation advisor, director of undergraduate or graduate study).

The Export Control Office will determine whether the proposed travel is permitted by the Office of Foreign Assets Control of the US Department of the Treasury (OFAC) under a general license issued by OFAC or if a specific license from OFAC is required under US laws in order to undertake the trip. The Export Control Office can assist with applying for a specific license.

If the OVPIA approves such travel and the trip is permissible under OFAC guidelines, the OVPIA will issue a letter to the student on official Indiana University letterhead signed by a designated representative of the university, typically the Vice President for International Affairs. The student should carry this letter on his or her person for the duration of the travel to Cuba. No student may travel to Cuba for research or other educational activities without approval from the OVPIA and confirmation of compliance with OFAC’s rules by the Export Control Office.

For general information about obtaining permission for traveling to Cuba, review the license application guidelines on OFAC’s website: