Sanctions for Noncompliance with COVID-19 Health and Safety Directives
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Office of the Executive VP for University Academic Affairs
- Responsible University Administrator:
Office of the Executive VP for University Academic Affairs
- Failure or refusal to comply with the health and safety directives adopted by the university to combat the spread of COVID-19 can subject students to suspension or expulsion from the university.
- In order to promote the health and safety of our entire campus community while continuing to provide educational services, conduct research, provide medical services to our students and the community, and perform other services, all students are required to:
- Monitor your health and comply with the measures described in the current Student Commitment Form and all other applicable university and campus guidance or directions related to the COVID-19 pandemic at https://fall2020.iu.edu/return-to-campus/.
- Wear a face mask approved by Indiana University Environmental Health and Safety so that it covers both your nose and your mouth at all times while inside an Indiana University building (except while alone in a private office with the door closed or while eating or drinking in an indoor seating area for dining), on campus transportation, and in outdoor spaces when physical distancing is difficult. Eating or drinking in classrooms and laboratories is prohibited. Face masks are also required while engaged in university activities, irrespective of location. Information on approved masks can be found at https://protect.iu.edu/environmental-health/public-health/communicable-diseases/coronavirus.html.
- Practice physical distancing at all times.
- Practice good personal hygiene (washing hands frequently with soap and water, or a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap is unavailable).
- Be screened or tested for COVID-19 as required.
- Stay home and not come to class if you are sick, have a fever, or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.
- Self-quarantine or self-isolate in accordance with instructions from a physician and/or pursuant to university guidance.
- Cooperate fully with contact tracing conducted by the university and/or public health officials.
- Use the COVID-19 Self Reporting Form as soon as you test positive for COVID-19.
- Because knowledge and understanding of COVID-19, as well as applicable guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and federal, state and local authorities, continue to evolve, this policy is subject to update as further information becomes available. Indiana University will continue to adjust policy and guidance based upon the latest public health information, regulatory guidance, and peer best practices.
Reason for Policy
Indiana University is taking actions in light of COVID-19 with the goal of promoting a safe environment for our students, employees, and community. Compliance with health and safety directives by university students is critical to achieving this goal.
- Depending on the nature and occurrence of the violation, campus officials may impose sanctions up to and including interruption or termination of access to university systems and services, or suspension or expulsion from the university. Further, and depending on course-specific rules, violations may constitute academic misconduct that can result in academic sanctions including grade reduction, removal from a course, suspension or expulsion.
- Given the risk of transmission and importance of strict compliance, no individual who has failed to comply with this policy three (3) times, for any reason, should expect to continue to remain enrolled or affiliated with the university. Refusal to comply with health and safety guidance and directions as required in Policy Statement Paragraph 2. will result in immediate suspension.
- Campus-specific student conduct procedures and course syllabi may also be amended to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.