- Document the position using the university-wide position description form. Refer to the Position Description policy for details.
- The Essential and Marginal Job Functions Worksheet should be submitted as part of the supporting documentation with the Position Description.
- After the necessary approvals are obtained (RC or department as appropriate) submit the position’s description, to the campus Human Resources office for review:
- Approved Position Descriptions and other appropriate documents will serve as the basis for the classification of all positions into jobs.
- As part of the classification process, a representative of the campus HR office may review with department management the Position Description and any documentation provided. Campus HR may also request additional information, including a consultation with the incumbent.
- The campus Human Resources office will review the descriptions, determine the appropriate exemption status, and assign a classification and grade level.
- When the review is complete, the Campus Human Resources office will notify the department of the results of the position classification.
- The department is to notify the incumbent, if any, of the review results.
- See section Reconsideration Request of a Position Classification Decision below for concerns over classification decisions.
- To accommodate a dynamic work environment, including new priorities and initiatives, changes in technology and regulations, fiscal constraints, etc. it is expected that management will restructure the duties and responsibilities assigned to various positions.
- When changes to a position’s duties and responsibilities are significant, a department head, supervisor, and/or an incumbent may request a review of the applicable position.
- A new or revised position description will be prepared.
- The supervisor and/or the incumbent shall act promptly in preparing the position description and communicate openly concerning the status of the request.
- After the RC or department approves the position review request, the updated position description along with supporting documentation, such as the current Organization Chart for the unit, will be sent to Campus Human Resources office for review.
- Refer to the section Position Classification 2. above for the process of campus HR’s determination.
- Refer to the section Position Classification 3.-4. above for the notification process.
Reconsideration Request of a Position Classification Decision
- Incumbents, supervisors, deans, or administrative officers may request reconsideration of a position classification decision through the campus Human Resources office.
- Requests must be made within one month of the department receiving results of the review.
- The request may be submitted on the form, Request for Reconsideration of Position Classification.
- The campus Human Resources office makes wage/salary plan (e.g. PA, SS, or SM) determinations. Requests for reconsideration may only address issues of levels within a salary plan.
- Reconsideration results are final. Departments cannot request an additional review for one year unless the duties and responsibilities of the position change significantly.
- Disagreements over classification and level assignments are not subject to the grievance procedure.
- A different procedure is available to resolve disagreement over non-exempt/exempt status . Requests are to be submitted in writing to the campus Human Resources office.
Reclassification to a Different Functional Group of a Union Covered Position
- For AFSCME Police covered positions:
- If the campus Human Resource office feels that the duties of a position support changing its classification to a different wage/salary plan, it will provide the union local president or designee one week to provide input and consider any information that the Union submits, before making its decision.
- For AFSCME Service covered positions:
- At Bloomington, if the campus Human Resources office feels that the duties of a position support changing its classification to a different wage/salary plan, it will provide the union local president or designee one week to provide input and consider any information that the Union submits, before making its decision.
- At IUPUI, the union local president is notified of a service job classification change and the reasons for the change.
- For CWA covered positions:
- To reclassify positions from Support Staff to Professional, the union local president is notified if a support staff job is changed to a different wage/salary plan and the reasons for the change.
Back to top