Vacation for Twelve-Month Academic Appointees
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- University Faculty Council
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Board of Trustees, Indiana University
- Policy Contact:
- Susan McCammon
Assistant Vice Provost, Director of Academic Personnel Policies and Services
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
- Vacations are allowed and encouraged for the purpose of increasing individual efficiency and usefulness of the academic staff.
- All twelve-month academic appointees are entitled to one month’s vacation with full compensation for each calendar year.
- Vacation time is not cumulative, i.e., if vacation time is not taken during one year the individual is not entitled to two months’ vacation during the next year.
- During a vacation period for which an individual receives his or her regular monthly compensation, it is understood that he or she shall not accept or receive compensation for full time employment elsewhere.
- Although vacations need not be taken at the same time each year, the vacation period in any year should not follow immediately the vacation period of the preceding year.
- No academic appointee can expect additional compensation in lieu of vacation.
(Faculty Council, March 7, 1967; Board of Trustees, April 21, 1967)
Vacation Policy Amendment
The Faculty Council has recommended a change in vacation policy for academic staff on twelve months’ appointment to allow them one month’s vacation with full compensation for each calendar year, not to be accumulative. The present statement has been interpreted by some departments to mean that no person on a twelve months’ academic appointment could have terminal leave, and this revision is intended to correct the inequities and inconsistencies that have arisen in interpretation of the policy.
(Board of Trustees, April 21, 1967)
On April 21, 1967 the Board of Trustees approved an amendment to this policy which allowed academic staff on twelve months' appointment one month's vacation with full compensation for each calendar year, not to be accumulative (see points 2 and 3 of the Policy Statement, above). The revision was intended to correct inequities and inconsistencies that arose in interpretation of the policy.