Oversight and Support Of Non-Tenure Track Faculty (Formerly Associate Instructors, Associate Faculty and Part-Time Faculty)
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- University Faculty Council
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Board of Trustees, Indiana University
- Policy Contact:
- Susan McCammon
Assistant Vice Provost, Director of Academic Personnel Policies and Services
- Policy Feedback:
- If you have comments or questions about this policy, let us know with the policy feedback form.
- Print or view a PDF of this policy
- Many policies are quite lengthy. Please check the page count before deciding whether to print.
Responsibility for oversight of associate instructors and associate faculty should be placed in an office on each campus. The office need not be the same for both categories of instructors. On those campuses with large numbers of associate instructors and/or associate faculty it would be appropriate to designate an officer within a school to report to the campus office. Each chancellor/provost should, after consulting with faculty representatives as appropriate, forward the name of the designated office to the vice president for academic affairs .
The office designated by a chancellor/provost to provide oversight for associate instructors shall, working with the appropriate faculty council committee(s), insure that all associate instructors are properly trained, supervised and evaluated.
The office designated by a chancellor/provost to provide oversight for associate faculty shall oversee the process for appointment, evaluation and professional development of such faculty, including implementation of those standards and procedures established by University Faculty Council.
(Board of Trustees, September 24, 1994)