IU Service Credit from Affiliated EntitiesHR-02-70
This policy applies to all Staff and Temporary employees. This policy applies only to cases that arise on or after the effective date shown at the top of the policy.
- Indiana University maintains an affiliation with the following not-for-profit entities:
- Additional entities may be added to this list of affiliates at the decision of Indiana University.
- It is the policy of Indiana University that when a full-time employee of one of these affiliates separates from the affiliate and is immediately employed by Indiana University in a Staff position, the University will recognize full-time service with the affiliate for determining University Service Credit.
- University Service Credit is used to determine:
Vacation and PTO accrual rates
Payout limits for unused paid time-off at time of separation
Service recognition programs
Reason for Policy
The number of affiliated entities has increased and employees in these affiliates move to and from employment with Indiana University to the benefit of the University. It is necessary to establish a uniform policy to determine if service credits are going to transfer for those individuals moving directly from an affiliate to the University and to identify the impact on University benefits.
When a full-time employee of one of the above affiliates separates from the affiliate and is immediately employed by Indiana University in a Staff position, University Human Resource Services will calculate the University Service Credit including the length of full-time employment with the affiliate and enter the information into HRMS.
- University Service Credit is defined as the total amount of time that a person has been employed with the University. It is calculated and reported in HRMS as either a number of years, months, and days of service (e.g. 6 years, 5 months, 3 days) or as a percentage of years (e.g. 6.42 years).
- The University Service Credit includes all periods of employment in Staff positions plus periods of employment in Temporary with Retirement positions for employees hired after January 1, 2003. In the case of an employee separating from one of the above affiliates who is immediately employed by Indiana University in a Staff position, the total time will include time employed with the affiliate as a full-time employee.
- A full-time position is one whose regularly scheduled hours are at least 40 hours per week.
Managers, supervisors, and employees who violate this policy are subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
Service Credit Calculation
This is a new Indiana University personnel policy.