Please note: This policy is currently under review.

Indiana University Seal

Service of AlcoholFIN-INS-10


This policy applies to all events on Indiana University property as well as Indiana University events held at other locations.

Back to top

Policy Statement

Indiana University campuses, schools and programs may occasionally host events at which alcoholic beverages may be appropriate. When alcoholic beverages are provided at a university event the following principles are paramount:

  1. No alcohol should be provided to anyone under the legal age;
  2. Stewardship of university resources must be considered when deciding whether it is appropriate to serve alcohol at an event;
  3. Consumption of alcohol should be only in moderation;
  4. When serving alcoholic beverages, a selection of non-alcoholic beverages shall also be made available to attendees;
  5. When alcohol is served food should also be served;
  6. No federal grants and very few private grants permit the reimbursement of costs associated with serving alcohol;
  7. Each campus is permitted to enact more stringent rules as to who must approve the expenditure for providing alcohol. At a minimum, the relevant dean or unit director should approve both the expenditure and the measures taken to assure that alcohol is served only in accord with these principles.

An IU unit engaged in the sale of alcohol at any event or program must have the approval of the Office of the Vice President and CFO.

Requirements for the purchase and service of alcohol are included in the procedures below.

Back to top

Reason for Policy

The serving of alcohol requires attention to compliance with legal obligations as well as the responsibility to minimize any inherent risk arising from misuse of alcohol. The serving of food and alcoholic beverages on university property and/or in conjunction with university functions is also limited by other university policies including financial policies, environmental health and safety policies, and the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct.

Back to top


A. Approval needed to serve alcohol at university facilities:

Approval to serve alcohol on campus and/or at a university facility must be obtained from the relevant dean or unit director unless the campus has specified that only the Chancellor or Provost can give such approval. Campuses may establish their own approval process using a form from INLOCC or a version approved by VP&GC office. Campus process must include notification of the approval to INLOCC, and also to the IU Office of Procurement Services when a vendor is involved.

Private events held by external customers at university facilities for which event rental is part of the primary business (e.g. Indiana Memorial Union, IU Auditorium, etc.) do not need approval to serve alcohol, but must use an approved facility lease agreement with the external customer. IU events at these locations must still obtain unit and/or campus approval.

B. Requirements for service of alcohol:

  1. Bartender requirements at university facilities:
    1. For attendance up to 50 people, one person licensed by the Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission is required.
    2. For attendance of 50-100, at least two persons licensed by the Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission are required.
    3. For attendance of more than 100 people, at least two persons licensed by the Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission are required, and the alcohol must be provided by a university unit authorized to serve alcohol or a vendor.
  2. An external customer using university facilities for their own event will be required to contract in their own name with a licensed vendor to handle the service of alcohol. All persons engaged in the service of alcohol at the external event must be agents of the licensed vendor or authorized staff of the university unit providing the service The University must receive a fully executed copy of the contract at least three days prior to the event.
  3. When the provision of and service of alcoholic beverages for an IU event is by a vendor or at an establishment, other than a restaurant, contracts are required and must be approved by IU Office of Procurement Services
  4. Alcohol expense submitted for reimbursement must include a statement of business purpose and the name of at least one employee (other than the person making the purchase of alcohol) who can verify details about the event.

Back to top


Indiana University Facilities and/or Property: buildings, grounds, and land that are owned by Indiana University or controlled by Indiana University via leases or other formal contractual arrangements to house ongoing IU operations.

Establishment: a place of business where food and/or alcohol are regularly served, e.g., a restaurant, hotel, or catering hall.

Vendor: a business which may provide and alcoholic beverages for consumption and may provide onsite bartending services. Vendors are responsible for having the required permits and licenses and appropriate proof of insurance.

Licensed bartender: currently licensed by the Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission.

Back to top


Violations of this policy may result in denial of permission for a unit to serve or purchase alcohol. Any violations of university policies by an individual will be dealt with in accordance with applicable university policies and procedures, which may include disciplinary actions up to and including termination from the university. Suspected violations of law will be referred to law enforcement and may result in criminal penalties.

Back to top

Additional Contacts

Contact Phone Email
Larry Stephens, Director, INLOCC  812-855-0104

Mike Jenson, Director, Environmental Health and Safety Management 812-855-3231

Graham McKeen, EHS 812-856-5482 
Kutina England, INLOCC 812-855-0837

Back to top


This policy was established on December 1, 1996.

This policy was revised in 2011.

This policy was revised in 2017 and the name changed from Requirements for Service of Alcoholic Beverages on Indiana University Premises.

Previous Versions:

Back to top