Senior Citizen Fee RemissionUSSS-14
Students who wish to take advantage of the Senior Citizen Fee Remission program.
In accordance with Indiana state law, a senior citizen is eligible for a fee remission at Indiana University if they:
- are at least 60 years of age;
- are retired;
- are not employed on a full time basis;
- are an Indiana resident; and
- has graduated high school, received a general equivalency degree or a state of Indiana general educational development (GED) diploma
This fee remission will be equal to fifty percent of the Indiana resident tuition and will not exceed nine credit hours a semester. All associated mandatory, program, course/class fees are the responsibility of the student. In addition, the fee remission is not retroactive and cannot apply to previous terms.
Individuals who wish to take advantage of this fee remission must complete the Senior Citizen Fee Remission Request for each term for which they are requesting the fee remission. Students must register through self-service before turning in this form (See Procedures section below.)
Registration is on a space-available basis and individuals taking advantage of the senior citizen fee waiver are prohibited from registering for classes prior to three days before the start of classes for the term. Individuals who would like to take advantage of priority registration are not eligible for the senior citizen fee waiver and are fully responsible for one hundred percent of their tuition and fees.
Reason for Policy
Indiana Code (IC 21-14-5) states that senior citizens should have the opportunity to attend scheduled courses where space is available and be provided a waiver of tuition for those courses at state educational institutions.
ProceduresTo apply for the fee remission the senior citizen must:
- Complete the full application for admission and be offered admission to the campus where they would like to take courses.
- Create their IU Computing Accounts and establish an IU email address.
- Register for their classes through self-service options beginning with three days before the start of classes for the term through noon on Friday of the first week of classes.
- Complete and sign the Senior Citizen Fee Remission Request Form, attach a printed copy of their class schedule and submit this packet to the Office of the Registrar before noon on Friday of the first week of classes. This process must be completed each semester the student requests the senior citizen fee remission.
- Requests for senior citizen fee remissions will be denied if the class has a waitlist at the time the form is submitted.
- Students who are denied the senior citizen fee remission may submit an appeal to the campus registrar.
- Once the request is approved and registered by the Office of the Registrar, the form will be sent to the Office of the Bursar where is it entered and stored for reference.
This policy was established in July 2015.
This policy was updated in September 2015 to eliminate the undergraduate enrollment limitation.