Indiana University Seal

In-State Tuition Rates for Certain Veterans, Military Members, and GI Bill Recipients USSS-08


Certain non-resident military-affiliated students who are eligible for tuition residency exceptions for tuition purposes under state or federal statutes.

Back to top

Policy Statement

In accordance with federal and Indiana state laws, certain non-resident veterans, military members, and GI Bill beneficiaries are eligible to pay in-state tuition rates if they:

  • Are current members of the Indiana National Guard;
  • Are active duty members and their spouses with orders assigning them to duty in the state of Indiana;
  • Are veterans who enrolled at Indiana University within 12 months of separation or discharge from the armed forces of the United States or the Indiana National Guard and who begin establishing legal residency in Indiana within the first twelve months of enrollment; or
  • Are beneficiaries using the Post 9/11 GI Bill or the Montgomery GI Bill who are living in the state of Indiana and enrolled within three years of discharge from a period of active duty of at least 90 days served by themselves or, in the case of transferred benefits, by their transferring parent or spouse.

Eligible students will have a residency exception entered to allow tuition charges at the in-state rate. Their residency classification does not automatically change, but they may apply for a change if otherwise qualified.

The in-state tuition rate charges via residency exception will apply to all academic levels and continue as long as the student remains continuously enrolled.

Back to top

Reason for Policy

Public Law 113-146, Section 702, as a condition of continued US Department of Veterans Affairs program approval; Indiana Senate Enrolled Act 434; and I.C. 21-14-12.2 and 21-14-9 require certain active duty personnel and their dependents; veterans; members of the Indiana National Guard; and Post-9/11 or Montgomery GI Bill beneficiaries pay no more than the in-state tuition rate, regardless of residency classification.

Back to top


Eligible students should notify their campus veteran services office. Documentation required to confirm eligibility may include a Certificate of Eligibility from US Department of Veterans Affairs for Post-9/11 or Montgomery GI Bill; Indiana National Guard ID Card; Permanent Change of Station orders; proof of address; and/or DD-214 Certificate of Discharge from Active Duty, depending on circumstances. Once eligibility is verified, residency exceptions will be entered in the appropriate student record by the campus Office of the Registrar.

Note: The residency status of children of full-time military personnel is addressed by Indiana University’s policy on residency for tuition and fee purposes.

Back to top

Additional Contacts

Subject Contact Phone Email
Sarah Gibson (812) 856-1985 
Indianapolis Kim Bloodgood (812) 274-5015 
East Dennis Hicks (765) 973-8456 
Southeast Jack Howell (812) 941-2535 
Kokomo Arlene Buell (765) 455-9352 
South Bend Tamika Johnson (574) 520-4552 
Northwest Levonda Moseley (219) 980-6940 

Back to top


This policy was issued July 27, 2001 and updated June 1, 2007 and December 1, 2015.

Previous Versions:

Tracked Changes:

Back to top